Friday 30 October 2009

El Día de los Muertos and Marie Antoinette




Carol Fox (aka Ginger) has decorated one of our Mexican Tin Nichos in a Marie Anotoinette style to celebrate
El Día de los Muertos or the Mexican "Day of the Dead" which takes place on November 1st and 2nd. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts. Scholars trace the origins of the modern holiday to indigenous observances dating back thousands of years, and to an Aztec festival dedicated to a goddess called Mictecacihuatl.

Our a
ged tin Nichos come from San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, where they are used to create shrines and house icons. Each has a glass door which opens into a recess. Each Nichos is hand made and unique, each one will has slight variations in colour and cut.

Carol has provided the instructions to make the Nicho which can be found in our Articles section
.

4 comments:

  1. ooo thats gorgeous....its given me inspiration to do the Nicho I have sitting here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Something else to add to my ever growing wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this shrine! Now I'm dying to make one in this style, with aged tin. I'm celebrating Dia de los Muertos on my blog today too. Please stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning. Like Carmen that's something else I 'need' to have a go at.

    I did another of Lynn's canvas workshops last weekend and I've just managed to finish the wall hanging we made and blog it before I tootle off to Orlando.

    See you when I get back Moira!

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.