Wednesday 17 April 2013

Pride and Prejudice - Jane's Countryside

Today I have decorated one of those tiny papier mache book boxes you can buy very cheaply, using the Artistic Outpost 'Jane's Countryside' plate, and a charity shop copy of Pride and Prejudice. I painted the box inside and out with acrylic paint, mixing a couple of colours until I got a reddish claret colour like those old leather books you see. I then embossed all the edges and the spine bits with gold embossing powder. I cut the Pride and Prejudice wording from the page headings in the book and glued it to the spine.



I then gold embossed the pattern from the stamp set onto the front and back of the book, again to get the old worn and tooled leather book effect.



I stamped the Mansfield Park quote, 'To sit in the shade on a fine day is the most perfect refreshment' and arranged it around the edge of the book. I lined the inside of the book with book page, with the inside left showing a chapter heading.

I stamped the house and coloured it with Distress Inks. I stamped the Jane Austen figure, coloured her, and then cut her out, leaving a tab at the bottom. Finally I used the tab to glue her into position in front of her house.

4 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous Lucy!!

    Can you guess...my favorite book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word - I'm in love..........I adore that book - and you have done it justice by altering it. Keep it, treasure it, love it - cos it truly is a special story and a special book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful alteration! Makes me want to open the book for a good read! Love that AO image and the red and gold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great make... such a clever idea, and beautifully executed!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.