Wednesday 13 June 2012

June Guest - Lucy Edmondson - An Altered Bottle


I was so thrilled to be asked to Guest for Happy Daze this month, and for the first of my three contributions I have made this altered bottle. I wanted to go for a giant perfume bottle look. It started life as a glass bubble bath bottle like this:-



After removing all the labels, I painted it with a pinky beige acrylic paint and then stamped it with the Prima en francais script stamp in Victorian Velvet Distress Ink. I then used the pattern stamp from the Artistic Outpost 'Jane's Countryside' set and wrapped it around my hand and used a dabbing motion with Sepia ink, blotting it as I went along. These two stamps created more of a texture than a pattern. I dabbed a bit of Sepia on my finger and ran it around the raised circular part of the bottle to emphasize it. So at this stage it looked like this:-


These are the stamp sets I used:-




Next I used the Lost Coast Designs 'Labels' stamp set. I stamped the 'Violette Flor' perfume bottle label onto a cotton coaster (I buy these in packs of 10 from Poundland), using Sepia ink. I then used the other two perfume label stamps to make shrink plastic tags for the neck of the bottle, colouring them on the reverse with Pro Markers.






A better view of the shrink plastic tags:-


I adhered the coaster to the centre of the bottle and added a pressed Viola flower, sealed with a little matte medium. I wrapped a pocket watch style necklace from a car boot sale around the neck of the bottle and added the tags on jump rings. To finish off, I added a piece of lace to the neck, and some Liquid Pearls to the opening. I had planned on replacing the original stopper but it didn't look right. I was also going to add lots of little flowers etc, but Mr Less Is More told me to step away from the craft room!



I am using my finished bottle to hold artificial flowers:-



19 comments:

  1. Wow, This is fabulous Lucy. You must be so thrilled the way it all turned out. TFS. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect - and you are right - you stopped at perfection, rather than 'overdosing' - showing all your techniques at their best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy, fabulous first DT project. Gorgeously altered, love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, truly delightful Lucy :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is so pretty and dreamy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this pretty transformation Lucy, x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo I love it!!! it would look lovely in my bedroom :D
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is stunning - a total transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning! Gorgeous way to transform a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never think to paint glass- this is beautiful- I have to find something to paint...LOL It would look beautiful in my bathroom....yes it would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Looks like it came that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! Your instructions are written so well that anyone could follow them. I want to try this! Thanks for sharing and they picked someone very talented to guest design for them.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your altered bottles Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so unique and totally beautiful... love it, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. terrific transformation of a pretty bottle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you have done with this little bottle Lucy. It's given me so many ideas on how to transform my vases, lamp bases and some tiny little bottles I've had for years and not known what to do with them. It's gorgeous and I love the soft colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.